Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Acting like a toddler"

I took Max to the doctor this week: he seems more irritable and prone to tears lately. He's also running a slight temperature. Her explanation after looking in his ears and throat was that he was acting like a toddler. He now gets frustrated by what he can't do or what I won't allow him to do. Lots of tears. Although it felt like a waste of money taking him to the doctor, it was nice to get the reassurance that he is not sick and that he is acting like a typical child of his age.

I hosted my Mom's Group this week. It's easy for me to do now that the weather is warmer because we spend a bit of time snacking and visiting then head into the pool. I made banoffee pie--I have this really easy recipe that seems to be a hit everytime I make it.

Max's new accomplishments are: pretending to talk on the phone (he uses his mobile phone, telephone or the remote control for the TV--says "hi"), says "ay-toe" for Rachel (I think he has heard my friend's son say my name frequently--I hear "ay-toe" more than "mommy" this week), he tries to put together a wooden puzzle. I continue to be amazed at how often he understands what I tell him.

Today Malia (a friend we met in Oxford who lives in Brisbane and works with Tim) came over for lunch. Max was strutting around for his audience, checking frequently to make sure Malia was watching him. Very cute. She took us to the Mt Cootha lookout where we could see all of Brisbane, the ocean (I was surprised at how close the ocean really is), the mtns inland from the Gold Coast. There are a restaurant and a cafe there so it'll be a great place to take visitors when they come (hint, hint).

No pics again this week b/c the camera is out of commission.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hi Rachel! I just love reading your blog. You have helped me out a lot. Belle is in the exact same stage as Max. I'm glad to hear she is not the only one. I was starting to wonder what I was doing (or not doing) wrong with her. I miss you guys. It would be so fun to meet up somewhere some day and get the kids together. I bet we could compare pretty similar "notes" on our day-to-day with them. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well.
Much Love to the three of you!