Monday, March 10, 2008

A little story

Once per week after his nap, Max watches a DVD while I cut his nails.  Last week, after I had clipped six of his nails, he decided that he didn't want anymore cut.  Rather than struggle, I thought I would wait until later in the day. Not long thereafter Max lost interest in the DVD so I turned it off.  He played with his toys for a bit then he asked to watch the Thomas the Tank Engine DVD again (he points at the TV and says, "toot toot").  I told him that he may watch Thomas if Mommy could cut his nails again.  He declined that proposition (a high pitched "no no" with a Max-esque shake of the head (more of a side to side motion without turning his head or using his neck)).  A few minutes later, while sitting on the sofa, he pointed at the TV again saying, "toot toot."  I laid out my proposition again.  He declined again.  He thought for a moment, then he said, "please" (which sounded like "peeeeeeeas").  I crumbled.  He had never used "please" to get what he wanted before, despite my consistent prompting.  Unfortunately for him and despite his adamant protest, I proceeded to clip his nails during the DVD.  


No comments: